Historic Destination Spot
The Logs Inn was built in 1932 and consisted of only the middle section of the current building, which we now call the Fireplace Room. The building material of choice was red fir logs, which at the time were quite plentiful. When you visit, make it a point to walk through the restaurant to appreciate the log walls. Every log came from trees dropped at the very beginning of the ‘30s, a period of turmoil and uncertainty in our nation due to the Great Depression.
Earl and Julia Verley, the founders of the Logs, opened the tavern selling just a few bottles of beer. However, it quickly became much more than that. They provided the communities of the Mount Adams area with a place to gather; an anchoring point for Trout Lake, Glenwood, Underwood, White Salmon, Bingen and beyond. The Logs soon became a place where friends would gather and get relief from their troubles over a cold beer, possibly some "Sprinkle Dew" moonshine, and something tasty to eat. Back then, the logging industry thrived in these parts of the woods, and the logging camps were full yet remote. Weekends were when the loggers would unwind from a long work week, and a favorite place to unwind was, you guessed it, The Logs!
During the management of the next generation of owners, Ray and May Verley, was when the family's famous fried chicken dinner was shared to the public in the 40's. Pressure-fried is what makes the chicken and potato wedges so tasty--- crispy skin and tender meat! A must try dish that people drove (and still do!) several hours to enjoy!
The Logs' Tales
Building of The Logs in 1934
The Friendly Ghost of BZ Corner
In 1937, an octogonal dance hall constructed of the same red fir logs as the restaurant was built next to the Logs, which is where the log cabin units now sit. The dance hall back then was the largest of its kind in Washington State! Folklore has it that it was so much of a hit that the sheriff eventually had to shut it down. Brawls were not unheard of during those days at the Logs, especially when it'd be packed full of loggers who had one too many, and one night got particularly bad. Supposedly, the event involved a group of men fighting over a woman. It escalated quickly, to the point of one of the men getting killed! This is the man who lives on at the Logs. Do not fear the ghost, though! He's been encountered only a handful of times and is said to be of friendly disposition.
Since that horrible event, the dancehall was left vacant for years except for the occasional wrestling or boxing match and the housing of cubs (see below). Decades later, the hall was turned into small apartments, and then into vacation rental units in 2013. Completely renovated, the rooms are brand new and on the market as of March 2016.
*If you stay in one of our cabins, notice the old growth fir flooring. This is the original floor of the dance hall! If those floors could talk...
The Community Cubs
There once was a man named T. Roberts who lived in Glenwood, a nearby town. While he was logging, he encountered a pair of cubs and ended up bringing them down to the Logs Inn. Mr. Ray Verley, the owner at the time, had somehow convinced Roberts to keep them at The Logs. The Dance Hall had been shut down at this time and soon became the new home for the cubs. The community members spent a lot of time with the new family members and consequently grew up to be quite tame. They would even be spotted being walked on leashes around BZ Corner! However, Washington Fish and Game got wind of the bear cubs being kept in captivity and saw it their duty to mete out a little justice to Mr. Verley for his transgressions. Once the cubs were much bigger and the Fish and Game were trying harder to catch them, Ray decided to sell them off to an interested resident from Stevenson who called to make an offer. The interested buyer picked up the "bear cubs" in a brand new Cadillac, which was soon destroyed by his new babes. Still, the three of them drove south on Highway 141 away from the Logs Inn, and the community never saw those bears again.
*outside the entrance are carved wooden bears in memory of the resident cubs!